Thursday, January 5, 2012

Champion Students Compose!

Today students are writing their own Fables. After reading several fables this week, we created a chart showing what makes a good one.

Then we used the chart as the rubric of how to make our own.
Here are a few examples from some outstanding writing champions!


  • Ingrid N Ingrid N
    The Dog and the Chicken

    Narrator: Once there was a dog that lived on the streets. He always passed by a farm and saw some chickens that were always eating. The dog thought the chickens looked delicious, so he went over to them.

    Dog: Hey Chicken! You seem to be having lots of fun, and look very tasty. Could I eat along with you?

    Chicken: I’m sorry but this is a barn for animals only, and you seem to be wild.

    Narrator: The dog felt offended when the chicken told him that. Though he pretended just to want to eat along, and he told her why he looked that way.

    Dog: Oh no! I’m not wild at all; I just wander in the street that’s all. I look this way because I haven’t taken a shower in so long.

    Chicken: No wonder something smells funny around here. Well listen the farmer is coming so you have to go.

    Dog: Ok! I’ll leave once I get to eat some of that meat; I meant that wheat.

    Narrator: The dog tried to convince the chicken, but the chicken would not allow the dog to get near her, because of how bad he smelled. The dog tried over and over again until then the chicken agreed.

    Dog: Well if I get some wheat I’ll leave you alone.

    Chicken: Fine have some wheat, but you have to take a shower because you might stink up my food.

    Narrator: So the dog took a shower and the chicken let him have some wheat, but the dog also wanted some meat. When the chicken wasn’t looking the dog grasped and bit down on the chicken.

    Dog: Ha-ha! I got you in my mouth. I knew I could do it.

    Chicken: Let me go! Leave me alone!

    Dog: I needed something else besides to eat wheat, like I said all I wanted was meat!

    Narrator: So the dog ate the chicken and felt really happy. He had even left some extra meat for his friends. After they ate the dog went back to where he lived which was out in the streets.

    All Together: If you really want something don’t be afraid to go ahead and try to get it.


    Today

  • Joshua H Joshua H
    The Camel and the Lizard
    Narrator: Once there was a young camel in the Sahara desert wandering around looking for some water. Since there isn’t really much water in the Sahara desert, his journey would be long.

    Camel: Wow, I’m really thirsty. I wish that there would be more water in this dry, lonely place that people call a desert. I really need some water.

    Narrator: The poor camel had been separated from his family many months ago. Where he wanted to go was a town just overflowing with water. But this was the Sahara desert, so he would have to wait.

    Camel: I also wish I had someone to be with right now, a dung beetle, a snake, anything really.

    Narrator: A few hours later, the camel thought he had found something extraordinary. But all he found were a pile of dead palm trees. At first he just wanted to walk away, but then he noticed something moving in it.

    Camel: Hey, is anyone in there?

    Narrator: He waited a few more seconds but there was no reply. As he was walking away, there was a rustle in some of the dead pine tree leaves.

    Camel: who’s in there?

    Lizard: Wait, hold on!

    Camel: what are you?

    Narrator: The camel didn’t know what was under those dead leaves. Then, the lizard came out of the dead leaves.

    Camel: You’re a lizard? I thought you would be a dung beetle or a snake! Well, I guess I should get going, I really need to find some water or I’m going to get dehydrated.

    Lizard: Well, I sure need some water shortly.

    Camel: Well, I was heading into a local town to get some; do you want to come with me?

    Lizard: I certainly will!

    Today
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment